Celebrate Park Prescription Day with us!
Park Prescription Day is celebrated across the United States to promote the growing movement of prescribing parks and nature to patients to improve human health. Additionally, Park Prescription Day encourages everyone to start seeing visits to parks and public lands as very important parts of their health. We encourage everyone to connect with parks daily for improved physical, mental, and spiritual health. This is a national event hosted by the National Park Service, in conjunction with National Park Week, which takes place from April 15-23. There are 35 events happening across the country, more than 10 events hosted in the Bay Area, and the signature event of this national celebration will be taking place on Crissy Field in San Francisco. We'll see you in the parks on April 23!
Join us at Crissy Field in San Francisco
When: Sunday, April 23, 11am - 3pm
Where: 1199 East Beach, San Francisco, CA
What: We invite you and your family to join us for Park Prescription Day, a FREE celebration in front of the Crissy Field Center in San Francisco. There will be fun activities for all ages and abilities, and you can learn about using public transit to access your local parks, tips on healthy eating and exercise, and youth programs being offered in parks. There will be over 20 agencies offering activities and giveaways at booths, including face painting, health screenings, and a smoothie bike. RSVP on the Healthy Parks Healthy People: Bay Area Facebook event page!
Schedule of Activities:
- 11:30-12:00 - Yoga for Everyone with Bryant Resch from Outdoor Yoga SF (please bring a yoga mat)
- 12:00-12:30 - Zumba, brought to you by the SF Recreation and Parks Department
- 12:30-1:00 - Tai Chi with Sally Sexton, brought to you by the SF Department of Aging and Adult Services
- 1:00-1:30 - The Healing Power of Awareness in Nature with Charles Higgins
- 1:30-2:00 - Fitbit: Tabata! - Taking Your Fitness to Another Level with Buddy Macuha
- 2:00-2:30 - Fitbit: Bodyweight Bootcamp with Caroline Jordan
- 2:30-3:00 - The Healing Power of Awareness in Nature with Charles Higgins
- Ongoing - Guided walks to Sports Basement activities, sponsored by Sports Basement
- Ongoing - VIVE! Nature Wander walks with Lonner Holden
- Ongoing - History of John Muir, presented by Michael Oakes of California State Parks
Transportation: We encourage all guests to use public transportation as there is limited parking available at the Crissy Field Center.
- Public transportation via bus routes 28, 30, 43, 45.
- PresidiGo shuttles will be running from downtown and around the Presidio.
- Use this trip planner to find the best way via walking, biking, ridesharing, or public transit.
A big THANK YOU to all of the amazing organizations hosting this event alongside Healthy Parks Healthy People: Bay Area:
- Institute at the Golden Gate
- Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
- National Park Service
- San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department
- YMCA of San Francisco
- San Francisco Department of Public Health
- Presidio Trust
- California State Parks
- National ParkRx Initiative
- US Health and Human Services
- Feeling Good Project
- Healthy Hearts SF
- Department of Youth, Children, and Their Families
- San Francisco State University
Thank you to the following sponsors:
- Hint Water
- Purity Organics
Thank you to the following organizations for your participation:
- House Kombucha
- Sports Basement
This is a public event and staff photographers/videographers are working to gather images. The Parks Conservancy reserves the right to utilize photographs or videos taken at public events in the Golden Gate National Parks for publicity purposes in printed materials and online. All event attendees consent to the use of their photo or video taken at events, unless they specifically inform staff of an objection to such use. No names will be utilized in conjunction with photos or videos without express written consent.
If you do not wish to have yourself or your child photographed, please inform a staff member at the information tent.
There are 13 other Park Prescription Day celebrations around the Bay Area - Find one near you!